Legendary cuisine and some of the world’s oldest universities
Italy is located in the heart of the Mediterranean Sea in Europe, and has been extremely influential in forming Western culture and cuisine. The country is remarkable in uncountable ways, such as in history, art, cuisine, wines, culture, nature and fashion.
Much of the worlds higher education has had its’ beginning in Italy, and some of the world’s oldest universities are located there. The higher education system consists of a large and international network of public and state affiliated universities, as well as a smaller number of private universities. In addition, there are other higher education institutes other than universities available as well.
The quality of education is considered to be high, and true to old traditions, most teaching still takes place in large lecture halls. This means that students are expected to commit to a considerable amount of self-studying.
As long as international citizens meet the admissions criteria; having accomplished the indispensable minimum educational requirements and are competent in Italian, they may gain admission to any Italian higher education programs.
Universities and other higher education institutions are free to set their own fees, in the case of university education, there is a legal minimum enrolment fee and a maximum level of student contributions that cannot exceed 20% of state funding. On average, the tuition fees are between 850 and 1,000 € per year in the public sector. Private universities have clearly higher fees.
There is an abundance of options when it comes to ways to spend free time in Italy. Student associations tend to be very active, and of course visiting places like the Alps, Venice, Rome and Vatican City, Florence and Milan while enjoying the scenery and cuisine will create wonderful experiences throughout your whole stay.
Top 3 reasons to study in Italy:
- Long history of higher education.
- Never running out of things to discover and a welcoming culture.
- In 2016, three Italian universities are listed in the Emerging ranking of top universities in the world for their graduates’ employability: Bocconi University (78th), Polytechnic University of Milan (also excellently rated on Study Advisory) and Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa.
Did you know this about Italy?
- The University of Bologna was founded in 1088, making it the oldest in Europe.
- Multiple famous scientists and mathematicians such as Leonardo Da Vinci and Galileo Galilei were born and raised in Italy.
- Fourteen billion espresso coffees are consumed each year in Italy.