The opportunity to study in Middle Earth
New Zealand consists of two main islands in the southwestern Pacific Ocean, and has a very interesting landscape including volcanoes, glaciers, unique flora and fauna, as well as the mystic scenery that people often recognise as Middle Earth from “Lord of the Rings”.
New Zealand has a very good reputation of providing a high quality education to its students. It offers a safe learning environment, which provides excellent study opportunities and offers various support services for international students, making it a very desirable country to apply to.
In New Zealand, the higher education system includes universities, institutes of technology and polytechnics, private training establishments and wānanga (a publicly-owned higher education institution providing education in a Māori cultural context). In most cases, universities have a very selective admission process, meaning that candidates have to fulfill additional requirements through their qualifications as well as the minimum requirements of their school-leaving examinations (NCEA or Bursary). However, more mature students are not usually expected to meet the academic criteria that is demanded from directly entering a higher education program from secondary school.
International students have to pay a full, non-subsidised tuition fee and are not eligible for financial assistance from the government. Each university is free to set their own fees, so the variations between different universities and fields of study are quite notable. On average, the tuition fee for a higher education in arts and social sciences can be around 13,700 € per year and for more expensive degrees, such as dentistry, medicine or veterinary sciences, the tuition can cost around 51,300 € per year.
Having free time in New Zealand during your studies can be a dream come true! It’s easy to move about from one island to another and discover all of the amazing things that New Zealand has to offer! With its breathtaking nature, its unique scenery and species (which can only be found on the islands!) and with plenty of outdoor activities available, New Zealand can be paradise for the adventurer at heart! Also, time spent getting to know the history and culture of the native people is very enriching.
Top 3 reasons to study in New Zealand:
- Laid back culture and some of the friendliest locals.
- Unique and magical scenery, as well as flora and fauna.
- Life and studies are carried out in English, so you can improve on your language skills.
Did you know this about New Zealand?
- High schools and universities in New Zealand are permitted to keep a pound of uranium or thorium on campus for educational purposes. Before you roll up your sleeves, you should know there is a $1 million fine if it explodes.
- Wellington is the most southern capital city in the world.
- The longest name of a place in the world is “Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu”, the name of a hill in Hawkes Bay, New Zealand! Even the word checker thinks it’s gibberish! haha!